Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Talkin' about the Weather

All the talk here in the Lowcountry has been on hurricanes this week. Is Hurricane/Tropical Storm Hanna coming our way? Will we have to evacuate? At my office, after numerous meetings and email notices the past two days, word was passed along that evacuation discussions have been suspended as the storm appears to be tracking toward a landfall well north of us. Seemingly everyone breathed a collective sigh of relief.

I mostly trust the experts, but I find it a bit unnerving to see the storm's actual location is still hundreds of miles southeast of us and moving northwest, thus retaining the potential of coming ashore near Savannah or Hilton Head. Using a Google Earth-derived storm tracking map, one of my co-workers noted that at one point yesterday, the storm's path took it almost directly over the complex of "modular buildings" in which we work. Brings to mind a song by a band I used to see when I went to school in Athens: "A trailer's a trailer, even when it's a doublewide."

Assuming Hanna does miss us, we still have to watch and wait to see what its successors, Ike (now a Category 3 hurricane) and TS Josephine, are going to do. But am I really worried? No. If a storm threatens, there's nothing I can do about it other than pray, pack up my valuables (of which there are few) and head inland. It's all in God's hands. Psalm 147:17-18 says, "He hurls down His hail like pebbles. Who can withstand His icy blast? ... He stirs up His breezes and the waters flow." He can make the wind blow, and He can also calm it. And even if He chooses not to, He can still calm me in the midst of it.

No comments: