Sunday, May 17, 2009

Eye of the Storm

We’ve had a lot of strong thunderstorms lately. A few weeks ago, I got caught in one while hiking in the Georgia mountains. As I huddled under a rhododendron bush, I wondered if there’s any significance to the fact that the “lightning safety position” bears a strong resemblance to a common prayer posture – head bowed, body low to the ground.

Whatever the case, I was doing a lot of praying while lightning popped and thunder boomed around me for a good half-hour. I think I started to get a glimpse of what Paul meant when he instructed his readers to “pray continually” (1 Thessalonians 5:17).

Another verse that kept coming to mind was Psalm 46:1, and I reminded God of it several times: “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” That rhododendron bush was my earthly refuge, but in reality it was God Himself who was protecting me, even while His awesome power raged around me.

Now, in hindsight, without the fear of electrocution gripping me, I can say that lightning storm was an amazing thing to have witnessed first-hand. But I wouldn't want to experience it again.

No comments: