Thursday, June 4, 2009

He Lives in Me

When Tiger Woods became a professional golfer in 1996, his first advertising campaign with Nike featured kids of various ages and backgrounds declaring, “I am Tiger Woods.” The implication: “Golf has a new hero and I want to be just like him.”

Tiger certainly lived up to the hype – he is, unquestionably, the greatest player in golf today. But I never aspired to be him because ... well ... my golf game stinks.

For years, my shortcomings ate at me. I occasionally tasted success and I knew how much fun the game could be when played well. But oh how humiliating it can make a man feel, particularly in the company of better players. I desperately wanted to be like those guys. I would go through periods of intense instruction and practice, but rarely did I see significant improvement.

I don't play much golf these days. I still love the game, but I’ve resigned myself to being an average player at best. I am good at some things, however. We all are, because God has given each of us certain abilities. Whatever that something is for you, when you do it well and do it for God’s glory, then you are fulfilling His purposes for you. True identity is found in a relationship with God, not in the attempt to be Tiger Woods or anyone else.

One of my favorite Bible verses, Galatians 2:20, sums it up: “I have been crucified in Christ and I longer live, but He lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.”

No comments: