Thursday, July 16, 2009

Footloose

Living in a foreign country and working with people from different cultures, I am (not surprisingly) feeling a bit out of my element. That’s part of being on a mission, and it’s a situation that makes one depend on God all the more (which is what He wants from each of us anyway).

But sometimes I have to laugh at certain situations, so opposite are they from what I would “normally” be doing back home. This week, for example, I have been coaching a kids soccer clinic. And I use the term “coaching” in the loosest sense, because I know (nor care, to be honest) very little about the game.

I think my aversion to soccer goes back to second grade, when during a P.E. class I inadvertently kicked a ball too high and hit a female classmate in the head. The teacher yanked me to the sideline and paddled me, despite my plea of innocence. I tell you, I was never the same after that. It also frustrates me to no end that players never really seem to have control of the ball. I prefer baseball and others sports where one can have a firm grip on things.

So it was against that background that I found myself directing soccer drills with teenage boys this week, bluffing my way through instruction on technique and strategy. We were working with a program called Upward Sport South Africa, which uses soccer and other sports to engage kids and share the Gospel of Christ. All the Living Hope Children’s Clubs are taking part, with plans to eventually begin a league among the four townships/settlements in which they are located (Red Hill, Ocean View, Masiphumelele and Capricorn).

Despite my lack of knowledge or experience, soccer camp has been a blast – for me certainly, and I think for the Red Hill boys, too. This is no doubt an example of how God works through weak and unskilled vessels. “My grace is sufficient for you,” Jesus said, “for my power is made perfect in weakness.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, that which you resist persists so I guess you better start loving soccer in order not to have to play it. But it sounds like you got a kick (no pun intended) out of it afterall. Good to hear from you. May God bless YOU as you bless others.

Anonymous said...

Hey Al--
I sure do enjoy hearing how your life is changing. Soccer like anything else can be a tool for growing and sharing what means most to you. That bit of history gave me a laugh. I agree with Gigi--start liking it....
Good writing on your blog... you could do it professionally-- you know..... after this assignment in South Africa--maybe.
K. Ferguson

Anonymous said...

Hi Al - I finally took some time today to catch up with you, and I love reading about what you are doing there, and what God is doing with you! I am glad you are enjoying it. As anonymous said before me, you are a great writer! I look forward to following you over the next year to see what you are doing. I will be praying for God's blessings for you and all of those in Africa - christina