Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lukewarm Fan


Five random thoughts about the World Cup:

1) Sorry to see the U.S. eliminated after a hard-fought game against Ghana last night. I think my mild case of World Cup Fever is subsiding.

2) Still, I gotta root for Ghana now – for the only remaining African team to win would be a colossal upset and a fitting conclusion to the first World Cup on the continent.

3) The vuvuzelas you hear buzzing in the background during the game broadcasts – they’re even more obnoxious in person.

4) Amazed, and amused, at how soccer players can be so fit and yet so delicate that they seemingly whine and cry foul every time they get bumped by an opponent.

5) After watching more soccer in the past two weeks than I’ve ever watched in my life, I remain convinced: This is the most boring game in sport.

No comments: