Sunday, October 3, 2010

Language Arts

Pastor Jeff Cranston of LowCountry Community Church, on a recent trip to England, made some interesting observations on his blog about different terms Brits and Americans use for the same things. The same holds true in South Africa, where there is much British influence. But South Africans also have their own uniquely South African terms and phrases. Here are a few definitions:

Bakkie (pronounced bucky): Pickup truck
Braai (rhymes with fry): Barbecue, cookout
Bru: Brother, friend
Howzit: Common greeting, sort of like, “How are you?” e.g., “Howzit, me bru?”
Just now: Soon. “I’ll be there just now.”
Now now: Immediately (sooner than just now). “I’m leaving now now.”
Lekker: Nice, cool, pleasant. “Have a lekker day.”
Pitch up: To arrive or show up. “He pitched up 30 minutes late.”
Is it: All-purpose response used in any conversation where “Really?”, “I see,” etc., would be appropriate. “I’m feeling really tired.” “Is it?” (I know, it really doesn’t make sense.)

Well, that’s all for this post. I’ll write again soon. But maybe not just now.

No comments: