Thursday, December 16, 2010

Mixed Emotions


In just over a week, my South Africa adventure will come to a close and I will return to the U.S. The past 17 months have produced some of the most memorable times of my life. People ask how I feel about leaving. I find the answer is easy, but the emotions are not: My heart is split 50/50 – I’m excited to return home to family, friends and whatever God has planned in terms of a place to work and live; I’m sad to say goodbye to a lot of special people and to one of the most beautiful cities in the world. 

There have been many goodbyes in the past week, including today, my last working in Red Hill. Mzo had the teenagers sign a poster for me. I appreciated all the comments, but one of my favorites was this insight from 14-year-old Gregory: “Thank you for teaching us about God. You are the best teacher. You are almost like a teacher.”

Well, thanks. I think.

On Sunday I’m off to Namibia for a few days of camping and wildlife viewing. I’ll plan on posting photos when I return.

1 comment:

tracy said...

Nice picture. Your's turned out better than mine.