Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Hits and Misses

Many people have asked me what I missed the most about life in America while I lived in South Africa. Here are a few of those things, in no particular order, along with a few more I miss about there now that I’m here.

Besides the obvious ones, like family and friends, the things I missed most about the U.S. were:

-          American football. Rugby just ain’t the same.
-          Dr. Pepper
-          Chik-Fil-A biscuits
-          Country music. Thank the Lord for the iPod.
-          Sports Illustrated
-          Southern barbecue
-          Mexican food
-          Fall weather
-          Unlimited internet

And the things I now miss most about South Africa:

-          Mountains and sea everywhere I looked
-          South African accents
-          Breyani (a spicy curry dish with chicken, rice and lentils)
-          An unhurried way of doing things, also known as African Time (OK sometimes I enjoyed this; sometimes it was maddening)
-          Wildlife sightings: e.g., whales, baboons, ostrich
-          Rooibos tea (very tasty and grown only in the RSA)
-          A city, Cape Town, that is one of the most vibrant and scenic I’ve ever experienced
-          Working for a cause greater than my own
-          Some of the most interesting and beautiful people I’ve ever known

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You suppose to SAY that you miss those favourite words too. I DIDN'T GET!!!

Anonymous said...

You suppose to SAY that you miss those favourite words too. I DIDN'T GET!!!