Thursday, November 20, 2008

Just Wing It

I’ve come to realize that in South Africa, nothing happens on schedule. (That is, if a schedule even exists to begin with). For example, “I’ll meet you at 3:00” typically means something more like, “I’ll meet you sometime this afternoon. It may not be exactly 3:00, but it’ll probably be within an hour of that. Give or take.” Or lesson planning for an after-school children’s club? What-ev-er. We’ll figure it out as we go. For an incessant planner and watch-the-clock person like me, it can be maddening, but I’m gradually learning to accept it.

Likewise, some of my work opportunities here have come about unexpectedly. It never occurred to me, for instance, that I might use my writing background to help people at a homeless shelter. But that’s what has happened as several out-of-work guys have asked me to write reference letters for them to give to potential employers. This week I met a new visitor to Living Grace. He just learned that he’s HIV-positive and is getting counseling and medical help through Living Hope. I worked with him to build a resume and reference letter, as he needs work to be able to stay in Cape Town and get the medical attention he needs, since back at his home in the Eastern Cape (hundreds of miles away), medical care is harder to come by.

I’ve also taken to “playing” the tambourine during the pre-breakfast and pre-lunch devotions at Living Grace and at the afternoon kids clubs in Red Hill. I’m rhythmically challenged, but I can mostly keep the beat, and it’s fun – it’s the most musically involved I’ve been since my career as a high-school trombone player of marginal talent.

By the way, the deal at Living Grace is that devotions start at 8:15 and 11:45 and include 15 minutes of singing and a 15-minute Bible lesson. Those who attend get first dibs on the food; if there are any leftovers, then latecomers can also eat. In other words, “man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4).

No comments: