Monday, February 16, 2009

Child-like Faith

When it comes to matters of faith, I think sometimes we adults are too smart for our own good. We want an explanation for everything, whereas Jesus said we simply need the faith of a child: “I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven” (Matthew 18:3-4). And just one chapter over in Matthew’s gospel, Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these” (ch. 19, v. 14).

I think I got a glimpse of what Jesus was talking about. At my church’s Promiseland program for children each week, we lead the kids in a series of worship songs before the teaching time begins. Last Saturday night, as we sang David Crowder’s Our Love Is Loud, I watched a fourth-grade girl completely abandoned to her Lord as she closed her eyes and swayed from side to side during the song. She was clearly talking to God and she meant it when we sang, “We love You Lord, we love You, we love You.” It was such a sweet, innocent and yet powerful display of faith. It was the kind of devotion I want to show God – a devotion uncumbered by the worry and anxiety that Jesus tells us is pointless.

No comments: