Thursday, February 26, 2009

Heavenly Health Plan

Continuing the theme of my last blog – why the things of this world are of little importance in the context of eternity – I’m astounded by our culture’s obsession with physical health and longevity. Exercise programs, diets, vitamins, cosmetic surgery – we go to great lengths to delay the effects of aging. Not all of these things are bad, of course. The Bible urges us to take care of our bodies. But it amazes me how much time, money and effort are spent on physical wellbeing without any regard to spiritual health.

Why try to add years to one’s earthly life – which is not guaranteed past the next instant – but not prepare to live for eternity? Or as Jesus said, “What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?” (Matthew 16:26). In that same passage from Matthew, Jesus revealed the key to avoiding such a fate: “For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it” (v. 25). To put it in more familiar terms, consider Jesus’ words from John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.”

Be a follower of Jesus and eternal life is guaranteed. No diet plans, no exercise programs, yet in the end, every believer will get a new body, a perfect one like that of Jesus. “So will it be with the resurrection of the dead. The body that is sown is perishable, it is raised imperishable; it is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory; it is sown in weakness, it is raised in power; it is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. … And just as we have borne the likeness of the earthly man, so shall we bear the likeness of the man from heaven” (1 Corinthians 15: 42-44, 49).

Until then, I take heart in the words of 2 Corinthians 4:16-18, which says of my current form, “Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all.” Like the heroes of faith described in the 11th chapter of Hebrews, I am “longing for a better country – a heavenly one” (v. 16).

Just about any solid Biblical concept like this can be found in a good bluegrass song, so I’ll close with the words of one here, “I’m Ready To Go,” written by Tim Surrett and recorded by the Isaacs. I wish you could actually hear the Isaacs throw down on this foot-stompin’ banjo tune, but even without the musical backdrop, the message is still encouraging.

Should Jesus come this very day
I know I’ll then be on my way
I’m ready to leave
No stopping to grieve
I tell you friend I’m glad to be going
To a land where milk and honey are flowing
I’m letting you know
I’m ready to go

I’m ready to go
Should Gabriel sound his golden trumpet loud
In the twinkling of an eye
When the saints are called away
Eyes on the prize, no time to be looking back
We’re headed for that heavenly country
I’m ready to go and I know this might just be the day

Praise God I’ve made my reservation
For a homecoming celebration
When the saints of old gather ’round the throne
So when the trumpet sounds out so clear
You’ll hear me shout “I’m outta here”
Come on Gabriel blow
I’m ready to go

I’m ready to go and I know this might just be the day

No comments: