Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Alive and Well

The Bible says the entire world is in decay. Even if you don’t believe anything else in God’s Word, it’s pretty hard to argue with that one. Stuff rusts. Paint fades. Bodies die. Everyone knows the old saying about the certainty of death and taxes, but I wonder why so many people don’t seem concerned about their inevitable demise? Or if they do acknowledge it, they make jokes. For example, I read the following post on someone’s Facebook page today: “... is at a funeral. It got me thinking ... when I go, there better be a bar and everybody better be drinking!”

As one who has been born again into new life in Jesus Christ, I am certain of my place in Heaven, in the presence of God Himself, when my earthly body wears out. One of my favorite verses is 2 Corinthians 4:16 – “Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.” Even as my body decays, my spirit is growing ever closer to God. And when I go, someone better say, “Today he is more alive than he’s ever been.”

1 comment:

UM-Pastor said...

Wow! Amen to that! More alive than ever before - now ThAT is good news!