Saturday, March 14, 2009

Into Africa

If you have followed this blog, then you probably know I spent two months in Cape Town, South Africa last fall as a volunteer with Living Hope, a Christian ministry that serves people affected by poverty and HIV/AIDS. (If you didn’t know this, go back and check out the posts from October 19 to December 27.) When I returned home in December, it was with mixed emotions – I looked forward to being back among family and friends, and enjoying my comfortable life in America, but the people and surroundings of Cape Town had captured my heart and I knew I would miss them. I also sensed that God might be calling me to full-time ministry in some capacity, and I wondered if it was to return to work in Cape Town.

It appears that I was right. First, I found out in late January that my job had been eliminated, and for the first time in my post-college career, I was unemployed. Then, after much prayer, plus counsel from people I trust, I concluded that God is indeed calling me to return to Cape Town and serve in this mission field for a year. I will again work with Living Hope, as well as with Living Grace, a sister ministry to that helps the homeless; and with Living Way, an economic empowerment ministry that focuses on helping people work their way out of poverty.

The primary goal of each of these ministries is to share the love of Jesus Christ and lead people into a saving relationship with Him. My role in that will include evangelism, discipleship and children’s ministry in an impoverished community called Red Hill, leading devotional times and helping with operations at Living Grace, and writing for several websites and newsletters. Even though my work last fall was in an unpaid capacity (as it will be when I return), I found it to be the most fulfilling time I had even spent in my life.

My goal is to be back in Cape Town by early July. In order to get there and carry out this work, I need to develop a partnership team that can support me – not only financially, but also with prayer, moral and communications support. From a “rational” viewpoint, a lot of this doesn’t make sense. My life in South Carolina is comfortable. My couch is comfortable. I will greatly miss my family, my friends and the neurotic housecat that shares a home with me. I’m out of work, the economy is bad, and here I am asking people for money. But God often works in ways that are opposite to the world’s way of thinking. And just as He has called me to work on the front lines in Cape Town, I believe He is calling others to be part of this support team in the background, in roles that are every bit as important as what I will be doing. If you believe God is calling you to be part of this ministry, or if you are interested in learning more, please email me at john1125@rocketmail.com. You can also learn more about the work of Living Hope, Living Grace and Living Way by visiting the websites linked on the right side of this page.

1 comment:

UM-Pastor said...

Very cool. Thanks for keeping us up to date on some great ministry! Blessings to you!