Sunday, March 14, 2010

Amazing Grace

In my last post, I mentioned my struggles in facing the evils of human trafficking. Sometimes when I read the daily headlines and think about the atrocities that humans carry out on each other, I can’t help asking the age-old question: Why does God allow such evil to continue in the world? Sometimes I even take it a step further and ask: Was God’s decision to create mankind a colossal mistake?

Standing on the truth of His word that He is righteous, holy and incapable of error, I do believe the asnswer is no. But it sure is disheartening to see the things that man – created in God’s image though he is – is capable of.
The deeper my knowledge and understanding of Christ becomes, the more I’m able to come to terms with evil. In fact, considering all Christ did for us, I think the wickedness of man makes Him look all the more magnificent.
Looking ahead to Jesus’ crucifixion, Isaiah wrote, “He was pierced for our transgressions, He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him … and the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all” (Isaiah 53:5-6).
As I understand this, Christ bore every sin that was ever committed and ever would be committed – and the punishment for it – in His own body. His own heavenly Father turned his back while pouring out His wrath for all these atrocities. Christ did not bear just the physical agony of dying a slow death on a wooden cross; I believe He also suffered unspeakable pain in the spiritual realm that we that we can’t even begin to fathom.
John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that He gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.” He gave His life for all, even the most vile of sinners. I believe somehow, at one time or another, every individual is given the opportunity to respond to this free gift. Sadly many won’t, but that doesn’t diminish the glory of God and the effort He made to save us.
For those who do believe, they can realize this truth: “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God” (1 John 3:1).

No comments: