Sunday, March 21, 2010

Give Blood, Play Rugby

When I read the sports pages in South Africa, I feel like I’m looking at a foreign language. Cricket, rugby and soccer are all sports I have little understanding of. Of the three, I’ve found rugby the most interesting, because I can somewhat equate it to American football.

This weekend I got to experience my first rugby match in person. The Stormers, one of two professional teams in Cape Town, hosted the Cheetahs of Bloemfontain. The most impressive thing to me was the toughness these guys display as they go after each other at full-speed, with no helmets or padding. I’m amazed that there aren’t more broken bones, although I supposed when your legs are built like tree trunks, it’s hard to snap one. 

Since the Stormers won, 21-8, I’ve decided I will adopt them as my favorite pro sports team in South Africa.

No comments: