Friday, July 23, 2010

The Blame Game

Last year I wrote about an incident in which I was partially responsible for a homeless woman being ejected from the shelter where I serve as a part-time volunteer. (Click here to read that account.) This week, it sort of happened again, although this time she left on her own accord.

On Wednesday afternoon Annie decided to join us (for the first time) for our weekly Bible study at Living Grace. We were studying the fall of man. When I read Adam’s response to God’s inquiry if he had eaten the forbidden fruit – “The woman You put here with me, she gave me some fruit from the tree and I ate it” (Genesis 3:12) – Annie immediately got up, collected her things and stormed out.

One of my fellow volunteers followed to make sure she was OK, then returned to report that she was incensed over my reading of that particular Scripture. Apparently Annie pins the fall solely on Adam, ignoring the fact that both the man and the woman disobeyed God’s command.

Listen lady, I didn’t write it. Had she stuck around I would have pointed out that if she has a problem with the history book, she needs to take it up with God.

No comments: