Saturday, July 17, 2010

Found in Translation

A lot of international missionaries are required to learn the language of the country they’re ministering in. Fortunately for me, that’s not the case, as most of the people I work with speak and understand English fairly well. For those who don’t, I have my Xhosa-speaking friend Mzo to back me up.

I’m particularly thankful for this on Thursday nights when Mzo and I meet for Bible study with a group of Red Hill adults. Whenever I do the teaching, Mzo translates into Xhosa to ensure that everyone understands. Without him I could never have built relationships with these people, much less be invited into their homes to share God’s Word.

My original idea for this Bible study was to target men only, but God clearly has a different plan: Our original group of two has tripled in size to six, and half of them are women. One man, Zweloke, has two daughters who got interested in the study just by eavesdropping while we met in their house. Mzo and I are encouraged to see all of them with an obvious hunger to understand God’s Word and to know Him better.

No comments: