Sunday, October 19, 2008

Captivated in Cape Town

We’re here safely in Cape Town. The trip took about 36 hours door to door from Bluffton. That included a brief thunderstorm delay in Johannesburg, but otherwise the travel was smooth. This area is as beautiful as I remember from last year — mountains and oceans everywhere you look. We worshipped at Masiphumelele (Masi) Baptist this morning, an inspiring way to start a mission trip. I tried to upload some video of these Xhosa people's spirited singing, but it didn’t work, so you’ll have to take my word that there were goose-bump moments.

A protest march was taking place in Masi, a township of approximately 25,000-30,000 people. A 3-year-old girl was murdered recently. From what we understand, the suspect has been jailed, but the residents were marching (peacefully) as a show of solidarity that they won’t tolerate violence in their community. Our driver almost got caught up in the march before a police officer diverted us.

We went out for lunch on the waterfront in Cape Town. Pictured, back table, clockwise from left: Rosalie Parody, Cindy Taulbee, Tonya Townsend, Patty Friesen, Joe Friesen; front table, Tom Lawler, Nancy Lawler, Tina Kautter, Eddy Messick, me. Tomorrow we get to work. I’ll update in a few days, so stay tuned …

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Cape Towners!

I know the goosebumps you are referring to, Al! Oh, the memories! How glad I am to see your smiling faces and to feel the excitement with you...Roel and I are looking forward to your reports and living through you the work of God! Wow! We know it will be amazing. God's blessings to all, God's protection and safety... And know you are in our prayers and thoughts!

Love,

Roel and Jen

Pam Ullman said...

Glad you made it there safe and sound. Looking forward to hearing more!

Pam

Anne Buck said...

Hi Al,

So good to hear you are there safe and sound. I will be checking your blog and praying for you.

I just typed you a long note and then realized I need to register first and it erased it all, so this will be short this time. I am recuperating after surgery last Thursday, so don't know if I can redo what I said the first time! But know you all are in my thoughts and I can't wait to hear all that God is doing/will do through you all. Also, can't wait to see pics. If you send me your favorite, we can maybe use it in ROC for December. Not sure yet, but send if you want!

Glory to God,
Grace to you,
Anne