Monday, October 27, 2008

Light in Dark Places

Just as a flashlight – or a torch, as South Africans call it – shines in dark corners, the love of Christ illuminates some pretty shadowy locations in the Western Cape. We got another first-hand look at this last Friday in Khayelitsha, a township of 1 million-plus. This place has a reputation. Even one of the regulars at the homeless ministry warned me not to go there. But we had a knowledgeable guide and all was well.

We learned about several positive initiatives in Khayelitsha: Learn to Earn, a Christian-led vocational school that guides residents into the workforce; LOVE (Lily of the Valley Educare), a series of daycare centers that feed kids Biblical values along with two hot meals a day; Rainbow Sports Ministry, which uses soccer and netball (sort of like basketball) to build relationships with teenagers and steer them away from trouble (teen sex, alcohol and drug use are huge problems); and a new auto repair shop that will train prospective mechanics. As Christopher, one of the Rainbow Sports leaders, told us, God is calling His people to work in ministries like this and there’s no option but to obey if we’re serious about loving others as Christ commanded.

This week brings two more days of work at Living Grace. One of our team members, Tom Lawler, will be cooking a big chili lunch for the guests there on Tuesday. Today’s a big day at Red Hill, where Living Hope will be running a health fair for HIV testing and counseling, and blood pressure and TB tests. Nancy Lawler will be helping with this; Patty Friesen and the other ladies will continue to lead women’s devotionals; and Tom and I will go out and invite people to the event. We’ll also continue to do children’s ministry in Red Hill and will finish up there on Wednesday with a party for all the kids and parents. I’ll continue to work in both Red Hill and Muizenberg for the remainder of my stay until mid-December, so the relationships we’re forming over these two weeks will be a big help in my continued work here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your team. I was just thinking about what I was going to make for dinner tonight. As I was contemplating this important (and yet trivial) event, however, it hit me just how fortunate I am. I have a roof over my head and a pantry full of food. I am so very blessed and it saddens me to think how easy it is to take for granted all we have. I pray that God's love rains down on Wednesday's party for the children and and their parents in Red Hill. It's truly amazing all that God is doing through the team. God bless you all! Blessings - Jen K.