Monday, December 1, 2008

World AIDS Day

Today is World AIDS Day. Being in one of the most affected areas in the world – an estimated 1 out of 5 South Africans is HIV-positive – casts the event in a whole new light for me. I just read an article in which the “experts” are starting to question whether AIDS is really the problem it’s made out to be, and whether resources might be better used toward other problems. From what I’ve seen and heard about HIV and AIDS in Cape Town – e.g., people afraid to get tested because of the social stigma; sex among pre-teens because they have nothing better to do – I’d say the problem is everything it’s made out to be and more. Fortunately, Capetonians are fighting back. (The photo is from a parade today in Ocean View Township.) I pray that the support they need will continue - from the incoming U.S. administration and others with the means to give.

No comments: