Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Scattered Thoughts from a South African Odyssey



Spending nine weeks in Cape Town, South Africa has been the experience of a lifetime. Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula comprise one of the most breathtakingly beautiful places I’ve ever seen. And the people have been so interesting to get to know. The mix of cultures and languages – black, white and coloured people; English, Afrikaans and nine different native tongues – is fascinating.

As I head home tomorrow, I’ll take with me countless memories. It’s going to take a while to process it all. I’ve seen some harsh things. The effect of sin in our fallen world, the evil that man is capable of, is extremely disheartening. For reasons that I don’t always understand, God allows the consequences of man’s selfish will to be carried out. But I’ve also seen much evidence of His faithfulness, His love and His healing hand in people’s lives. Jesus Himself promised, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart, I have overcome the world” (John 10:10).

Unlike in America, where so much of life adheres to a schedule and a “normal” way of doing things, life in South Africa is less organized, less regimented, more random. So for my last post from Cape Town, in the spirit of randomness, I offer a few memories, a variety of images that stand out in my mind from the past two months. I’ll be home soon, but part of me will remain here in Africa, so stay tuned – influenced by insights from both sides of the sea, I expect to continue blogging on a variety of topics.

HOMELESS PEOPLE singing their hearts out to God. Granted, some of them come to the morning and afternoon devotions just so they can be first in line for the food, but some of them genuinely worship God and depend on Him for their every need, even when they don’t know where they’ll be sleeping that night.

SHEEP HEADS displayed on a sheet of plywood in Red Hill. As mentioned in a previous blog, “smileys” are a local delicacy whereby the heads are fried and eaten – eyes, brains and all. As someone commented in response to that blog, “Ewe.” I’m not sure whether the pun was intentional.

EDUCATORS WITH A PASSION for teaching the ways of God to the young people of this area. Though they’re not always formally trained, Living Hope’s Life Skill Educators have a heart for the children and a zest for life that flows through to them. The middle photo here shows Shagmie and Vernil, two of the LSEs in Capricorn Township.

“DONKEY MAN,” the shabby bearded guy who looks like an Old West prospector, riding his donkey on the sidewalk while pulling another donkey along behind. This takes place along a crowded road surrounded by pedestrians from the nearby black township of Masiphumelele. It’s one of the more random and odd sights I’ve seen.

TABLE MOUNTAIN, the 3,500-foot-tall mass of rock that looms over Cape Town and draws tourists from all over the world to ride its cableway to the top. I’ve ridden the cable car a few times, but my most enduring memory is a two-hour hike up in blazing heat. It was one of those “character-building” experiences that made the soaring views all the more worthwhile.

THE RESILIENT PEOPLE who live in the townships and informal settlements. In Red Hill, a shantytown that’s scattered along the side of a mountain overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the terrain is rough and rocky, but residents are persistent in planting vegetable and flower gardens. These gardens are flourishing, bringing life and color to a landscape blighted by fire and litter. The bottom photo here shows David and John, brothers and neighbors who share a garden that wouldn’t be out of place in Cape Town’s Kirstenbosch, the national botanical garden.

SIZWE, THE SECURITY GUARD who watches the public beach parking lot next to the house I’ve been living in. My housemates and I give him water sometimes. One day he asked me if I could “organize a sandwich” for him – as if it were an event that required careful planning. I didn’t have any sandwich materials at the time, but I did organize him a bag of sweet tarts.

THE BOOMSLANG, a cave reached by a long climb up into the mountains above the seaside town of Fish Hoek. When I set out for the Boomslang on a foggy Saturday morning, I knew I was going to be visiting a cave. However, I didn’t realize I would be crawling on my hands and knees, then on my belly, to get through it. Fortunately I’m not claustrophobic.

DRIVING ON THE WRONG SIDE of the road. After being a passenger for nearly two months, I decided to “hire” a car, as they say here, and transport myself around the Cape for a weekend. Sitting on the right side of the car, driving on the left side of the highway and shifting with the left hand requires a shift in thinking, too.

BEST BEETLE, the not-so-aptly named rental company that specializes in beaten-down, ’60s- and ’70s-era Volkswagens. Two of my co-workers, Ryan and Jess, have lime-green Beetles, both relics with an assortment of “character quirks.”

SOME OF THE MOST ADORABLE and sweestest children I’ve ever met in my life. And also, admittedly, some of the rowdiest. Kids emulate what they see at home, which unfortunately means fighting, swearing and a general lack of respect in many instances. But there are plenty of children who are being raised properly. One of my favorite families is that of Pastor Kennedy, the youth minister at River of Life Church in Red Hill. Kennedy’s kids, Joanne, Eldrich and Jeremiah are pictured with me in the top photo here. A few days ago, when it was announced that I would be going home soon, Joanne (who might be the cutest kid EVER) asked me to step outside so we could talk. “I don’t have anything to give you,” she said, “but I want to tell you something: Thank you.” Then she hugged me. And then my heart melted.

3 comments:

Ashley said...

Safe travels and blessings as you make your way home.

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and restful trip home...may God continue to bless your journey.

Anonymous said...

Have a safe and restful trip home and may God bless your travels. Jen K.