Monday, January 4, 2010

Faces of Hope

A friend asked me recently, “How do you answer people who want to know why you go to Africa when so many people are in need in America?” It’s a good question and it has a two-pronged answer. First, I know Africa is specifically where God has called me for this season of my life. And second, God has other work that He is calling other people to in America.

The problem is, the American church in general is too comfortable in its lifestyle to reach out to “the least, the last and the lost,” whether it’s at home or abroad. I was really shaken by this notion in a book by Frances Chan, Crazy Love, which I highly recommend. Chan, a California pastor, pulls no punches in calling Christians to live out their faith, to love the unlovely and unloveable, to not just sit in church on Sunday but to serve our neighbors in word and deed every day of the week.

Love God, love people – that’s the essence of Jesus's Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37-39) – and there’s plenty of need in every corner of the world to do that. As I return to Cape Town from a restful holiday break, I’m looking forward to continuing that work with the people He has connected me with.

The image above shows a group of boys who live in Red Hill. They face a lot of obstacles in life, but they also have much potential. My job is to help them know the living God, to help them grow stronger in that relationship, and to help them achieve their potential as the unique individuals He has made them to be. Thank you for encouraging me and praying for me as I continue this work in 2010.

No comments: