Saturday, January 16, 2010

Under Attack

I think I am under spiritual attack. Two months ago, my laptop – which I rely heavily on for ministry work – was stolen. Now the replacement I just bought has experienced a fatal system crash. It’s very disruptive, because I’ll have to spend hours restoring data, downloading software and whatever else must be done to make it productive again.

The Bible speaks a lot about spiritual warfare, that there’s an unseen realm in which forces of good and evil interact with humans. “Be self-controlled and alert,” the apostle Peter wrote. “Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour” (1 Peter 5:8).

That’s why I believe the devil is somehow behind this setback – because it’s so disruptive. The enemy will do anything he can to distract, disable or otherwise render God’s people ineffective. Skeptics scoff at such a notion, but that’s exactly what the devil wants. If you don’t believe there’s an enemy, then you won’t take steps to fight him.

I’m not going to let this turn of events defeat me. I’m even trying to rejoice in it, because James 1:2 implores us to “consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds.” If you too know the reality of spiritual warfare, then please help me pray that I stand up against whatever obstacles come my way here in Cape Town.

As Paul wrote, “Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms” (Ephesians 6:10-12).

No comments: