Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Labor of Faith

The book project I’ve been working on all year has been an exercise in faith. Progress has been steady, but several questions remain unanswered. Namely, who’s going to publish it and who’s going to pay for it? No one at Living Hope assigned this to me, and even if they had, there’s no money in their budget for such an undertaking. My belief has always been this was something God gave me a vision for and it’s something He will see to fruition.

Today I took another step of faith by hiring a photographer to shoot a few portraits of people who are being featured. It wasn’t a huge expense, but it was the first time any money has been spent on the project. So in opening my own wallet, I had a tiny bit of doubt: What if this thing never sees print? I do believe it will, so I press on, encouraged by the words of 1 Corinthians 15:58, which says, “Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

Committing to something when the outcome is yet to be realized – that’s part of what faith is all about, right?

No comments: